Monday, August 8, 2011

The Story

**This is the story of my Baby's last day on earth, I wanted to post this mostly for me, to remember every detail.  Luckily, I wrote most of this last September:

I have been asked, emailed, over heard, called...wondering what happen.  Everyone assumed the worst...accident, illness?  So I am going to try and type the horrible story of that day to help not only me (going over everything helps me accept things that I cannot change) but to have his last story written.  Although, I have researched and been told by the corner that SIDS is un-stoppable once it's "started."  They haven't been able to resuscitate a child once they have stopped breathing because of SIDS.  They don't know why certain babies die of SIDS...they do have statistics that show that males have a higher chance but they aren't sure why.

I awoke that Monday morning early.  Jed got Beckett and took him downstairs (he usually would give him to me in bed first but for some reason took him downstairs with him...he said that he really cuddled into him, gave him hugs) to get a bottle ready.  We just recently started formula a week earlier and Beck was having a hard time with the taste and belly aches from the switch.  He was just starting to adjust to the formula.  He brought Beckett to me, like always, and I fed him the bottle.  It was a normal day.  Beckett had a early, 8am, appointment for his 4 month check up.  So I hurried and got the kids all clean, dressed, fed and out the door.  He had a great appointment...weighed 12lbs 11oz and had his shots and as we left the doctor said, "perfectly healthy."  That statement has rung in my head ever since.

Most of the morning and early afternoon I can't remember specifically what I did ...I wanted to potty train Addie and so my attention that day was on her.  I do remember the older kids being annoyed  because we were stuck in the house all day, it was too hot to play outside and with Addie training I really couldn't go anywhere.  Beckett was on his normal schedule...after his morning nap Tay fed him a bottle, she even burped him half through his feed and was so proud.  My oldest 2 kids have always been a big help and especially today because I was so concentrated on Addie.  Later that afternoon, I had Zee sit on the couch and feed him.  Still guilty over not feeding him most of that day...but I was trying to get Addie to go potty AND the kid's begged me (now that he was on bottles) to feed him.  I am glad that they have that memory of feeding him.  Once he was done eating and being carried around by Tay, I placed him in his bumbo chair by me in the kitchen while I started dinner.  He was so happy, I remember thinking "wow, he's in a great mood."  He normally wouldn't sit in the bumbo chair very long.  I got the kids their dinner and grabbed Beckett (still in the chair) and placed him by me on the couch while I continued folding the laundry.  He sat there with me for awhile, watching me, smiling.  I held him for awhile. 

Around 6:30pm that evening, the kids wanted to watch a movie and I couldn't find the X-box remote, so I called Jed.  I put a video on and proceeded with the laundry.  Addie was starting to fight going potty and I was getting pretty frustrated with her, at this moment Beck was getting whinny as well.  My thinking was to lay him down for a short nap, while I finish up with Addie and got the rest of the kids to bed and then I was going to wake him up and have "Beck and Mom" time, like I did every Monday night, Jed works every Monday evening.  I laid him down close to 7:30pm.  He started fussing and I remember thinking, "I should just get him,"   Zeke happened to be standing on the stairs and so I asked him to go look in my door (which was open) at 7:45pm and if Beck was still whining to bring him down.  I saw him go to my door and he tells me that Beckett wasn't crying anymore.

I finished the laundry I had by the couch, tried to get Addie to go potty and decided to put the girls to bed and I was going to leave Addie up until she went potty and then put her to bed.  I rushed the girls up to bed close to 8:00pm, they brushed their teeth, while I switched another load of laundry.  I can't remember what made me go in my room but the girls were getting in bed and I closed their door and decided to check on Beckett.  As I walked in my room, I immediately saw Beckett had turned almost sideways and was on his belly (he had just started rolling).  I rushed into the room to "fix" him and remembering thinking, "silly Beck."

Immediately finding him, his blue lifeless body, I began yelling to call 911 and grabbed him up and ran to my neighbors house.  At this point I was on the phone with 911, banging on the neighbors door who then heard me yell that my baby wasn't breathing.  Our neighbor, who is a police officer, ran to the door grabbed him and took him upstairs.  He immediately started CPR...I sat there holding Beck's hand begging him to breath.  At one point, I swear he opened his eyes and looked at me and I just kept telling him to hold on but the look in his eyes felt like a goodbye.  By the time the paramedics got there, police officers rushed me out of the room.

All I really remember next in the nurse coming in to tell me that they couldn't resuscitate my baby and then I cried and begged for them to not stop trying.  As I slowly walked to the room where he laid, I remember thinking that I just needed to hold him and he would breathe again.  He just needed my touch.  I held him that night for a few hours, rocked him, talked to him and just cried.

My whole world stopped in that moment.  Time stood still.  I lost one of the most important things to me that day.  Part of me died that day as well.  Part of me went with Beck to Heaven.  My life will never be the same without him.  I have learned to live...I have learned to survive...I have learned to put my whole trust in the Lord...I have learned to lean on my husband...I have learned how to let people in and support me.  As I sit here...crying, still wanting him to come back, like he could all of a sudden magically appear...the pain, the hurt, the emptiness in my stomach still comes back as strong as it did a year ago.  The pain hasn't lessened, probably never will, but I am able to handle it better.  People have told me that getting the image of Beckett from that day out of my mind will be hard...for me, I choose to not remember him that way...I remember him smiling.  I remember him sitting on my bed watching me while I got my make-up on and just smiling at me, distracting me from what I was doing...watching VH1 Top videos and singing along to him, he loved music.  That is the image I remember most.  My little buddy, my boy, my baby sitting with me on my bed.

So there is the ending...of his story...but the beginning of my new, different life.  I can say that I am proud of the way I have handled the hardest trial I have ever endured and still dealing with...his memory is still as strong, alive as it was a year ago and to me that is exactly what I want. 
Photobucket
(Our Sweet Boy April 7- August 9, 2010)

18 comments:

ferfischer said...

My heart is with you. You will appreciate this story written down that you will never ever forget it (like you ever could). I still have not written the story of Cici's accident. Perhaps it's time I should, even though she is still with me in some form.

Kelly said...

Thank you for sharing, Ashley. I have been wanting to ask you what happened, but I didn't want to overstep my boundaries. Some people are comfortable telling and some aren't. And that changes everyday sometimes. I know it does for me.

I relate to when you say you wish your son would magically appear. When Adam first died, and I was preparing to get a tattoo in his honor, I thought, oh maybe I shouldn't cuz this could change. Um. It was a weird feeling definitely. I still have those moments, and then reality hits. It's so hard.

Thinking of you and many hugs to you. <3

Harlowe said...

I feel stupid for thinking like this, but all I can think is how unfair it is to Beckett, how he probably misses his family and wonders why we can't be with them. I'm sure it's not like this, not when you've got a place like heaven to play around in, I'm sure all perspective is different at that point. But it's obviously unfair to the ones left behind to deal with the pain. It is something I will never understand. He is just such a beautiful boy.

Tiffany said...

Ashley, I'm so sorry you and your beautiful family have been without little Beck for one year now. I wish this day had never happened for you. I'm glad you are able to focus on your happy memories of Beck on your bed, instead of those last moments. That is still something I struggle with... Thinking of you and your family!

Jordan said...

Reading this made me cry. I know we don't know each other, but I do know your heart girl. I am so sorry that you had to endure this. Your Beck is so beautiful. I don't know if this pain ever gets better, because I am still in the midst of it as well. All we can do is hang on for our babies. xoxoxo

Angie said...

Oh Ashley! Thanks for sharing the story. It brought tears to my eyes. I wish you had never had to endure this trial, and I'm sure it's still a daily struggle for you. Your strength is so inspiring to me. Beckett is a beautiful baby and I'm sure you all look forward to the day when you can hold him in your arms again and enjoy those precious moments that you hold so close to your heart.

James and Laura Neibaur said...

We will pray extra hard for you this week! We love you :)

brigette said...

You wrote this so beautiful! I ache for you!! The year mark is hard. I will send balloons to heaven for beckett!! Holding you close in thought and prayer!! Much love!!

Callie and Jordan said...

Ashley, I have been thinking a lot about you lately, knowing that the one year anniversary was coming up. I am so proud of you. I think this must be the most difficult thing for a mother to go through. I have cried so many times just thinking about Beckett (reading this was not an exception). You are a wonderful person and have been so inspirational to me. I hope that you will be able to continue to remember Beckett and also have comfort as you do so. Thanks for sharing his story.

emmiewyatt said...

Ashley, you dont know me, but my heart breaks for you, just the same. I hope you know how many people are lifting you and your amazing family up in prayer ALL the time, but especially tomorrow. I know there are no words to dull your pain or bring any consolation to you. I pray for your peace tomorrow. Your family is amazing.

Karen (Slaterbaby) said...

Thank you for sharing this part of Beckett's and your story Ashley. I admire your strength and courage that must have take you to write this. Your story, your words, touched me and I'm crying as I read this. I think of you and he often. I so wish this hadn't happened. Sending you and your family many hugs as you go through this day. He was such a beautiful little guy!

Maggie said...

Ashley, I'm thinking of you and your beautiful family today, and praying that you'll continue to find the strength to endure Beck's passing. Though we've never officially met, your life and story have touched me and my family deeply, and I know I can say the same for so many others. XOXO raleighGirl from FF

Lori said...

Ashley, you are on my mind today. You and Beckett. I know today is so hard. Just know that there are so many people who know and love him through your blog, and he won't be forgotten. <3

Go SunDevils said...

Ashley, we have never met, but I think of you often. Thank you for sharing your story, my heart is breaking for you. I pray you find strength and peace. Beckett will never be forgotten.

Kaci Uipi said...

I can't even imagine. I mean, my loss is similar, but different as you know. I have pics of Joshua as we held him and as he died, (even though he already looked dead even the day before)and I just can't look at those pictures. I did shortly after his death, cause I guess I was still numb, but now I don't like to think of him like that.. it's so hard.
thanks for sharing all the details.

Kasey @ Walking Redeemed said...

He is beautiful and he'll be ready to fill your arms once more when you meet in heaven. Until that day, I pray the Lord continues to give you the strength to share your journey and minister to others who have suffered as you have. With love, Kasey

Lisa said...

Oh, Ashley..my heart breaks for you. We lost a baby at 10 weeks. I can't imagine losing a baby at 4 months. May the Lord continue to strengthen and comfort you.
I am stopping by from Tesha's link up and am your newest follower. I would love to have you stop by and visit me sometime.
With love and prayers,
Lisa

Unknown said...

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Thank you for sharing your story with us. You will be in my thoughts and prayers

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...